Servo Controls Engineer
Company: GENERAL ATOMICS
Location: Pauma Valley
Posted on: June 17, 2022
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an
affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable
remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as
well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Servo Controls
Engineer within our ASI Electrical Engineering group. The position
is located in Poway, CA.
- Analyze, design, develop, support and troubleshoot control
algorithms for servo systems, environmental control systems and
power electronics for unmanned air vehicles and ground support
- Will be responsible for analog, digital, S-domain and Z-domain
controller design with appropriate analysis, modeling and
- Responsibilities also include electrical, mechanical and
software test and/or test support in the lab and in the field to
verify system performance and troubleshoot problems. This includes
test fixture design, assembly, test set-up and test data
- Multidisciplinary responsibilities include plant
characterization of electronics, electromagnetic devices, gear
trains, mechanical structures and aero load characteristics.
- Responsibilities also include requirements definition for
individual servo components (electric motors - power, speed,
torque; gear trains - reduction ratios, lash, breakloose torque;
feedback devices - resolution, accuracy, noise,---etc). This
includes supporting in-house design or locating off-the-shelf
vendor components and/or helping vendors develop components to meet
- Responsible for all documentation necessary for sound
engineering development (lab notebooks, test reports, trade
studies, block diagrams, hand sketches, theory of operations, white
- Responsible for all documentation necessary to support
production (test procedures, test records, bill of materials,
interface control drawings, source control drawings, change
requests, change notices, etc).
- Responsible for generating documentation as necessary for
customer support (slide presentations, field instructions and
troubleshooting memos, field alert bulletins).
- Will also be required to travel to GA-ASI and military test
facilities (El Mirage, Grey Butte and other US facilities) to
perform engineering tests and provide engineering support as
- Required to travel to vendor facilities to provide engineering
support and/or vendor evaluation as needed (US).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other
applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted
on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with
established operating procedures and practices.We recognize and
appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse
backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals
- Typically requires a bachelor's or master's degree in
engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited
institution and nine or more years of engineering experience with a
bachelor's degree. May substitute equivalent engineering experience
in lieu of education.
- Experience in closed loop control analysis and design including
S-domain and Z-domain controllers.
- Must have analytical and practical knowledge of
electro-magnetic and mechanical devices.
- Must have hands on hardware experience.
- Background in analysis, design and product development.
- Experience with analysis in Microsoft Excel and/or MATLAB
- Experience with system verification test methods (phase-gain
stability determination using small signal swept sine or random
noise, and large signal transient disturbances).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD secret clearance is
- Familiarity with digital filtering, understanding of different
types of filters FIR, IIR, Butterworth, etc.
- Experience with state space approaches to analyzing controls
problems as well as classical frequency domain methods.
- Familiarity with Linear Quadratic Regulator and Estimator
approaches to quasi optimal steady state and non-steady state
- Familiarity with simulation techniques including the
Runge-Kutta methods of non-linear simulations.
- Familiarity with C programming.
- Self-motivated. Completes tasks with little supervision.
- Can-do attitude that doesn't shy away from new challenges,
making adjustments and solving problems real time.
Keywords: GENERAL ATOMICS, Escondido , Servo Controls Engineer, Engineering , Pauma Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!